7.11.2004

I am looking out a window onto a garden of wildflowers and other assorted fabulous things, with a warm cup of my favorite tea, and reading bits and pieces of stories and meandering among several sections of the immensely satisfying and gorgeously appointed Words Without Borders. The poetry is quite lovely, and the fiction is excellent, too.

My favorite story of this very moment is from the "Africa" section (besides general world regions, one can also sort by setting -- mountains, desert, village, etc.), of a nun who keeps a diary of escalating events that quickly begin to resemble a brewing civil war.

Who are your heroes in real life?

The poor.

Who are your heroines in history?

The great Teresa of Avila, Joan of Arc, and Sister Anwarite.

What are your favorite names?

Anne and Mary.

What do you despise above everything else?

Hypocrisy.

What historical figures do you most scorn?

Several popes of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.

[That quiz reminds me so much of my freshman year of college at a Jesuit university in Louisiana, before I transferred to a school in the northeast. I swear, it could be lifted verbatim from a quiz in Western Civ!]

It's a difficult story, in the sense that there is so much violence in the world, but it's told in the beautiful voice of a young woman who is trying to figure out who she is in the midst of chaos.

I wonder what would happen if more stories about war were told by women...

-Lauren

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?