7.27.2004

Meryl Streep on Women & Power:

"But you see in my mind I am the main figure in the movie!" she said, meaning her character. "And so many questions are interesting about a woman like that, a woman in power and how she's regarded. I'm fascinated by people like Liddy Dole and Margaret Thatcher and Madeleine Albright. I just looked at all those people, the ones who make things happen. Karen Hughes and Peggy Noonan. Their certainty. Unshakable. Ann Coulter! People like that work all their lives to achieve these positions where they can move world events--and then they can't control them. That's my character. They get into a place where they control nothing. Because they never learn that the tangent is the thing that really controls events."

More here.

I love this thing that we have in our culture, where there is one kind of powerful woman in the movies, on television and in popular literature - always - and she is so sketched out in advance that she is almost a cliche -- the ballbreaker. It will be interesting to see what Meryl Streep does with the construct in her new film, The Manchurian Candidate.

-Lauren
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?