8.13.2004

Elizabeth's Monthly Spiritual Reckoning with the New Yorker

for JULY

I know it's the middle of August--I'm so late with this because I've been having the flu and resting and reading, including this interview with anarchist Hakim Bey, who would probably slap me for even caring enough to count these pathetic New Yorker numbers up. In my little fantasy world, Hakim Bey wants me to go walk the dog and write in that meandering way that seems like it gets you a little beyond capitalism for an hour or two, so maybe when I'm done here I'll listen to him.

July 5 issue

Table of Contents
12 bylines:
3 women
8 men
1 Uncle Tom (Caitlin Flanagan)


Total
(including Talk of the Town pieces not listed in the TOC)
17 bylines:
4 women
12 men
1 Uncle Tom (Caitlin Flanagan)


July 12 & 19 issue

Table of Contents
13 bylines:
2 women
11 men


Total
(including Talk of the Town pieces and the Financial Page, not listed in the TOC)
17 bylines:
3 women
14 men

July 26 issue

Table of Contents
11 bylines:
4 women
7 men
(I think this is the best we've seen this year, to tell you the truth. Although, of course two of those women are Susan Orlean--remember, as played by Meryl Streep--and Annie Proulx: my point being that the only time the gender balance is anywhere near equal here the women making it so are rich and successful beyond belief, the rock stars of the writing world.)


Total
(including Talk of the Town pieces not listed in the TOC)
16 bylines:
6 women
10 men

--Elizabeth

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?