8.16.2004

kimsaid has the news (via the Hollywood Reporter) that Sofia Coppola is set to direct a film that focuses on Marie Antoinette. You can read more here, and do follow the link to Kim's previous post about Colonial House ("After a mere seven days, the 17 members of PBS's Colonial House are already drooling over raw muskrat and barring servants and women from 'important' meetings"), that made me laugh out loud.

In related news, I read Versailles by Kathryn Davis not too long ago, and liked it, strange and charming and elegantly experimental as it was. Bookslut has an interview with her that yields some insights into her approach to her unique historical fiction:
Another theme to your work seems to be women's domestic lives. At one point in Hell you mention that the lives of two adolescent girls are not what great books are written about, and yet it keeps showing up in your books. Why do you think it's so neglected in literature, and why are you so drawn to it?

I think it has been neglected in what is considered "serious" literature. I think this is in some way changing, but certainly when I was first encountering literature, the "serious" work all had to do with issues having to do with men making their way in the world or fighting wars or brother against brother, father and son, and really not a whole lot about girls. And that was primarily because the books were being written by men. So you had a couple of women who were grudgingly permitted to enter the canon, but for the most part even what they dealt with was, the scope of it was always a little suspect, as if the lives of two girls growing up would not be as interesting as the lives of two boys growing up. Like Huck Finn. I just was never as interested in reading about boys growing up as I was in reading about girls growing up because I was interested in seeing how my own experience was somehow reflected or illuminated by the books that I read.
I feel the same way. For the most part, I don't read books that don't have a principal female character. It's not a rule that I never break; it's just that, like many readers, I do like to see my own aspirations and qualities in those of the main character, and that's kind of hard when literature is such a total dudefest so much of the time.

-Lauren

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?