10.18.2004

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (who reads at Cupcake on Nov. 9), is interviewed at All Africa:
What is your writing process like?

I don't have a schedule. I'm always amazed at writers who need to light a candle or something. I like to write on the train. Sometimes I like to write at night. Whenever I'm alone and the house is silent. I need to know that I have the time to write, that I have the whole day. That's probably also why I work best at night, because I know that I don't have to go anywhere at 3:00 in the morning, or take care of my nephew, or cook for anybody.

How important is silence in your writing?

The kind of literature I love has a lot of silence. The power of the things left unsaid. I think really Purple Hibiscus is about Kambili finding her voice.
[Link via Moorish Girl]

-Lauren
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?