10.13.2004

Lauren just sent me this article about SNL:
Mr. Michaels said that while he knew the decision to create a two-woman team would probably be seen as admirable, he emphasized that he and Ms. Fey had only comic chemistry, not equal opportunity, in mind as they chose a new anchor.

"It has to work because it's funny. No one's going to say, 'I admire the choice, therefore I'm going to watch it.' "

Mr. Michaels chose Ms. Fey to be an "Update" anchor four years ago, when she was head writer, a decision that he described as "kind of risky at the time" but that has been well received by critics.
Two Female anchors on Saturday Night Live. It's about time!

I have been a huge Amy Poehler fan ever since my Chicago days. Lorne Michaels did a very smart thing casting Amy Poehler and Tina Fey side by side. I am just amazed at how far Lorne Michaels has come. He has been known in the past to not cast a female comedian on the show on the basis that they were, and I quote, "not fuckable enough." Harsh language but the truth must be told.

That show and the comedy world in general has always been a boy's club and it has been only in the past few years that women have emerged into the spotlight. Thanks to the amazing comics like Wanda Sykes, Margaret Cho and Janeane Garofalo, not to mention hundreds of other 'no-names' who have forged the way.

When I first started my stand-up career I had club bookers suggest to me that I wear a skirt on stage instead of jeans -- this was in the mid-nineties! Another club booker refused to have me back at her club because she thought my material was "too dirty". We should leave potty humor up to the boys, right?

I recently did a show on the Upper West Side where there were a lot of female comics on the bill who were all fiercely hilarious. One of the male comics, who did not do well on this particular evening, turned to me and said, "Well, I guess it's the year of the girl comic." I couldn't help but laugh at this, "C'mon," I said, "It will always be the year of the man in this business, always." Let's just hope I am proven wrong.

hugs & giggles,
Jen
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?