11.11.2004

Marcelle Clements (Midsummer, The Improvised Woman) on writing:
Robert Birnbaum: I am beginning to understand the euphoric moment and the settling in of reality for you. You really want to write novels, and it's a really hard thing to do. So you are struggling within yourself on how you will be able to write the next one.

Marcelle Clements: Yeah, exactly. Most of it is practical. If there were no practical considerations, I would write three or fours novels right now. It's not that I would want to drop the other stuff, but that's what I would want to do. I think that I would get to be a better novelist.

RB: Are we both assuming that this well-crafted novel that you have written is not going to be a bestseller and therefore a solution to all your problems?

MC: That would be a solution to all my problems.

RB: Why are we making that assumption?

MC: I've never had reason to make the opposite assumption. I'm really happy that it was published. And I am delighted that it's still alive three months after the publication. My first novel came and went so fast that I understand what the stakes are and how fast that happens. I am really happy that this one is faring so much better. But a bestseller? I don't think it's a bestseller kind of book. One of the reasons I write non-fiction is to take the pressure off myself in terms of, so I don't have to have any commercial considerations when I write fiction. Because that winds up preventing me from writing at all. I just can't do it. It's not that I think there's anything wrong with it. It's that I can't accommodate both. What I love the most about writing fiction is the kind of free fall and if I am worried about covering this and that it doesn't really work for me. I guess there is that too.
Read the rest.

-Lauren
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?