3.11.2005

Editors' note: Writer Paula Kamen will be guest-blogging here on Fridays in March.

LITERARY MAMA
By Paula Kamen

Another follow up to last week's blog about women coming out about "weakness" -- which I think is the last taboo to write about. I got an interesting email from Philadelphia-based writer Andi Buchanan, the author of the memoir Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It (Seal Press, 2003). 

She is also the managing editor of literarymama.com, which also gives the unvarnished truth about mothering. She shared with me an essay, "The Plant," she recently ran there on her own (thankfully over) bout with chronic fatigue and pain and told me how strangely uncomfortable it was for her to write about the subject, even after very openly tackling the intimacies of motherhood, for better and for worse:
Although I write creative nonfiction about my own life pretty much all the time (my book "Mother Shock" was all about my journey through the culture shock of new motherhood), it was a little terrifying to write even a little about what having chronic fatigue syndrome and chronic pain was like for me -- mostly because when I was sick I had to fight so hard against it, to prove myself as being strong, not some silly weak girl giving herself over to illness and hiding behind pain because she couldn't deal with her life.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?