3.18.2005

Editors' note: Writer Paula Kamen will be guest-blogging here on Fridays in March.

MORE ON SICK LIT: JESUS SAVE ME (FROM MY HEADACHES)

As I wrote on March 3 (where I delivered my Sick Lit Manifesto), I'm on a mission to frame "sick lit" as a feminist issue. That means to look at how chronic pain and fatigue hit women more -- and critically examine why they are so stigmatized. As a way to fight back, a first step is openness, in writing about it, to demystify illness and reveal it as just an ordinary part of the human experience. (Speaking up is NOT the answer in itself, as I'd like dollars$$$$ put toward actually researching and treating these problems -- but it's a helluva good start.)

So I was happy in the past week that early coverage of my book, All in My Head,  picked up on that feminist thread. And that was in all sorts of publications. I was most amazed by the review by associate editor Agnieszka Tennant in Christianity Today, which listed my book as "pick of the week."

Praise Jesus! (And if I thought he'd get rid of my migraines, I'd convert in a snap.)

Another review that well explained pain as a feminist issue was in the Chicago Reader (not available at Reader site, but I have the text on my site) by Martha Bayne. (She is formerly an editor of Maxine, a Bitch/Bustish 3rd-wavish type magazine that was based here in Chicago, with a literary slant).

I appreciate her bringing up the term "neurosomatic," which contrasts with the term "psychosomatic" (all in your head), to show that neurology (specifically an improper processing of input by the brain) is being found to be behind many women's "invisible" illnesses.  So there.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?