3.13.2005

I knew I was in for a bit of a moment when I saw the link on the Times online: Dish It Out, Ladies

Maureen Dowd, what a Cupcake:
While a man writing a column taking on the powerful may be seen as authoritative, a woman doing the same thing may be seen as castrating. If a man writes a scathing piece about men in power, it's seen as his job; a woman can be cast as an emasculating man-hater. I'm often asked how I can be so "mean" - a question that Tom Friedman, who writes plenty of tough columns, doesn't get.

Even the metaphors used to describe my column play into the castration theme: my scalpel, my cutting barbs, razor-sharp hatchet, Clinton-skewering and Bush-whacking. "Does she," The L.A. Times's Patt Morrison wondered, "write on a computer or a Ronco Slicer and Dicer?"
Now if her bosses would just take a hint, and get their numbers up in the Book Review and the Times Magazine.

Beyond that, I am on vacation until Thursday. I thought I'd send you my vacation reading list, just in case you're planning on hiding in your apartment until your taxes are due and want some tips:

Ariel Bordeaux: Raisin Pie

Megan Kelso: Queen of the Black Black, Artichoke Tales

Susann Cokal: Breath and Bones (out from Unbridled Books, a small press in Colorado that I'm finding quite intriguing)

Gayle Brandeis: Fruitflesh and The Book of Dead Birds (complete with blurb from Toni Morrison, something I can't remember seeing since Erdrich's Love Medicine published more than 20 years ago. . . )

Lauren will be back on Tuesday, my gorgeous Cupcakes, and I'll see you Friday.

xo
Elizabeth
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?